Thursday, March 10, 2011

Math Blog 7

Week 8
Blog 7

I am still thinking about "leaping frogs". It was probably one of the most fun activities I have encountered in the program so far. It seems like an easy task, and it is. However it can also be complex and rich because a student can think about just as making the "frog" leap or they can go much further by thinking about the physics and engineering that will affect the design of the frog and the clip in order to optimize performance.

The idea of multiple ways for measuring the total distance traveled was also interesting because the students can discuss the differences between linear distance from a starting point versus distance traveled regardless of directionality.

This activity reminded me of MESA lessons I have seen which in general incorporate multiple disciplines and makes use of applied mathematics. This is an aspect I value highly because of the mathematics that the general population end up relating with in everyday life is this kind of applied mathematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation
Please feel free to comment, ask questions and offer suggestions.
All comments will be reviewed before posting.
Allow time for review. If your contribution is not yet visible it is likely pending review.