Blog 2
I started using similar technology in the public schools classrooms over a year ago. The first gadget I introduced to the classroom was the IPhone. The immediate uses students found for it was browsing for information to verify, expand and complement or even start gathering knowledge on a subject. Students have done this successfully in various subject areas ranging from mathematics to the arts. The other main use has involved the default applications, like stopwatch, calculator, and video camera.
Over the last 12 months I have added an IPad to the tools I make available to the students. The most common uses are browsing for information, with the student(s) who conduct the search being responsible for sharing with the group, and the use of the word processor. The IPad provides the student with the equivalent to a personal computer that can be shared and used in collaboration. Students have used it to email parents, instructors, retrieve assignments they have emailed to themselves, create presentations, word documents, gather and share information, just to name a few.
In the past few weeks an IPod Touch has been added to the mélange. Students know all 3 are available. I have noticed a trend to ask for the IPad, first and the IPod last. The newer generation IPods have browsing abilities as long as a Wi-Fi network is available. And the latest one includes HD video recording. For the most part, the options provided in the IPod depend on what apps have been downloaded. It is not open to what I have found to be the most common needs of the students in completing their work (easily gathering information, and creating documents). Also, students appear to link the IPod Touch with games and music more readily than either of the other two devices –Not necessarily a bad thing as some games can be didactic - .
Can an activity be designed for specific use of an app? Sure. Can an app aid students in some situations? Of course. Is it as versatile in providing students with what they need as one would hope for its cost? I’m debating with myself on this point. It is less expensive than more comprehensive technology. At the same time it does not offer the same capabilities.
You make some enlightening points. What is the cost/benefit ratio for iPod Touches? You could definitely argue that students are way more hip than we are. They know what technology is the best and, of course, they are going to prefer using it over older tech resources.
ReplyDeleteCheck out my blog about this technology: Elementary Ponderings
You'll notice that in my post, I've talked about the mere physical limitation of the iPod Touch. The size of the screen makes is hard or awkward for students to share. The use of an iPad or laptop would resolve this problem. I think you make some great points about technology use in the classroom.