Saturday, December 4, 2010

Calculus In Your Laundry Hamper

As someone who wears socks, I’m proud to say, I’m someone who washes socks regularly (I hope this applies to you as well). For years I have noticed a recurring phenomenon involving the gradual disappearance of socks, making once useful pairs, awkward singles. It tends to be a slow occurring process taking months or even years, but just as reliable and unforgiving as the IRS. Recently it affected a pair of socks I’m particularly fond of, the victim being the left partner. After exhaustive investigations of all laundry hampers, closet drawers, and yes, even my basement’s nooks and crannies, I had to accept the fact that socks are not exempt from mathematics. The number of complete pairs of socks “s” will approach 0 as the number of laundry cycles “f(s)” approaches infinity.
Formula:
lim f(s) = ∞
s→0

Who knew that freshman’s Calculus would come to hunt me in the laundry basket?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation
Please feel free to comment, ask questions and offer suggestions.
All comments will be reviewed before posting.
Allow time for review. If your contribution is not yet visible it is likely pending review.